Thursday, March 31, 2011

Shane

One late summer day, several years ago, my daughter, Lisa, and I were having an Italian soda at an outdoor beverage stand in our small town of Snohomish, WA. We were seated at one of the tables enjoying the cool drink and our time together. Soon I noticed a slightly built young man sitting at another table with an empty pop cup, just waiting or passing time. Something (or more likely "Someone") told me I should talk to him. I asked if he was waiting for a ride somewhere. He said "no", and that he was just waiting until it was time to walk to his job at the local McDonald's. I asked if he was new to this area and where he lived. In a soft voice he said he lived a few blocks away in a cardboard box. "Excuse me?", I said, "what did you say - you live in a box?" He answered, "Yes, it is all I have right now. I came here from Utah. My car broke down in Redmond (about 30 miles away), and I don't even have the money to get it back from the towing company. I just got this job at McDonald's, so hopefully I can find another place to live soon." He told me his name was Shane, and he was 19 years old, and had left home because of an abusive situation with his mother and her boyfriend. My heart went out to him; he seemed so lonely and much younger than his 19 years. Then I was led to ask him a very important question. "Shane, are you a Christian?" "No, I don't think so," he said. "Would you like to know what it means to follow Christ?", I asked. "OK", was his simple answer. I invited him over to our table. "Shane", I began, "God loves you very much and has a plan for your life." I went on to tell him that our sins separate us from God. I told him God loved us all so much that he came to earth as Jesus Christ. I told him Jesus died for all of our sins, and that He wants us all to spend eternity with him. He just requires us to believe in him and to repent of our sins, and to make Him Lord of our lives. He was raised from the dead by God the Father and is seated in heaven with Him now, waiting for us to be reconciled to him." Then I said, "Shane, would you like to pray to receive Jesus as your personal Savior right now?" He didn't hesitate for long, then he said that he would like to, and he did - right then and there on that beautiful summer day, while Lisa was silently praying too, for his salvation. I gave him a little book explaining more about salvation. Then I asked him if he had any money. He showed me his empty wallet. I had a $10.00 bill and gave it to him. He said it would be awhile until he could pay it back, but I assured him it was a gift. I also gave him my phone number and asked him to call in a day or two and let me know how he was doing. Then he left, and we left. A couple of days later Shane called as he had promised. I asked him if he'd like to go to church on Sunday. Yes, he would, but he didn't have very suitable clothes he said. Our boys had some, I said, and I dropped them off for him at McDonald's along with a small Bible. On Sunday he went to church with us and seemed interested in all that was being said. He even tried to sing the worship songs. Later we were able to help him in some other ways too. We got his car released for him and helped him replace a minor part. A woman at his work place offered him a place to stay. Shane said he was reading the little Bible and even understanding it. He also went to another church in town with a guy he had met. We saw him a few more times, and then one day a fellow worker at McDonald's said Shane had gone back to Utah. I'm glad I talked to him that summer day. I might have missed the chance to see a young man give his heart to Christ. I pray he is following Him now too, and that someday he'll get in touch with us again. I also know that the Good Shepherd knows His own sheep and no one can snatch them out of His hands. (See John 10:27-28) I claim that promise for Shane.

No comments:

Post a Comment